Thursday, October 18, 2012

09 October 2012

Today is the day. 

Many people wanted night hike to catch the sunrise on Katahdin in the morning, but due to recent snow, I thought it would be safer to hike around 7:00am.  The first 2 miles were simple, but the higher we got, snow covered the ground.  Ice formed around the rocks which forced me to focus on each step.  The rock climb in the middle of the hike was a bit challenging, but Nutella went first and I learned from trial and error.  I met Jonathan on the last mile and he gave us some encouraging words.  He was hiking with Regina who would later be on the same bus to Boston with me and Nutella.

 It was an amazing feeling.  The last mile was filled with snow and much anticipation.  I wasn't sure whether or not I would get emotional and surprisingly I didn't.  I'm not sure how to feel about that.  The summit never really felt real.  It felt like I was hiking another mountain and tomorrow I would hike another and the next day, another.   I sat on Katahdin watching my fellow friends summit.  The tears in their eyes caught me off guard.  Maybe they felt like this was the end for them.  The accumulation of the hardest days of their lives and the happiest moments mixing and coming to an end seemed foreign to me.  Why didn't I feel that way?  I don't want to over analyse this so I will just take it as my journey not being over with.  I am happy with that.  Knowing that I have more wanting and yearning in my life and creating opportunities to fulfill those needs will keep me be.  I had the most amazing time of my life thruhiking the AT.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I learned so much of myself and my capabilities and hopefully those never leave me.  I wish the best of luck to future thruhikers. Who knows?  I might be another someday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment